Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew Recipe
Recipe: Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew
Summary: A fragrant, flavorful, comforting, authentic pork stew from the Pink Adobe Restaurant in Santa Fe that showcases Hatch green chiles from New Mexico.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (I used 1 small onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2 garlic cloves)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups roasted, peeled and chopped fresh green chilies or 2 7-ounce cans green chilies, drained and chopped (I used 8 Hatch chiles that I roasted and skinned – 4 regular and 4 hot)
- 1 fresh jalapeno chopped (I omitted this for fear of making it too hot for the family)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used ¾ teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I used a few grinds of the pepper mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth (I used chicken broth)
- Heat olive oil in 4-quart Dutch oven with cover. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic and stir with meat. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chiles, jalapeno (if using), salt, pepper and sugar. Mix to incorporate. Add broth. Lower heat. Cover pot and simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
- Serve with flour tortillas.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 70-90 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
My rating 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)