Cable Making Skills
What to like
$0.17/ft at markertek Gepco 72401EZ 2 Cond 24 Ga Twisted Pair Audio Cable - Black - Per Foot
$3.40 at markertek Canare F-09 Narrow Profile RCA Plug
$4.97 at markertek Canare F-12 Mini Phone TRS Audio Line Plug
$4.22 at markertek Neutrik NF2D-B-0 RCA Panel Mount Jack w/Colored Isolation Washer Black
$4.22 at markertek Neutrik NF2D-B-2 RCA Panel Mount Jack w/Colored Isolation Washer - Red
youtube showmecables - 3.5mm Canare Stereo Connector - DIY Project to Repair Your Audio Cable
youtube DIYChrisMike - DIY Mike iPod to Home Stereo Cable w/3.5mm to dual RCA plugs
- TubeDepotTV - How To Build A Better Instrument Cable
- TubeDepotTV - How To Build a Better Speaker Cable
- TubeDepotTV - How to Solder
- How to Make A Custom Audio Cable - Quarter Inch to RCA
- Proaudio Stash - How to Build a Microphone Lead Using Neutrik XLR’s 2011
- MDR Electronics - How to make your own RCA Cable
- DIY Mike How To Make an Audio Interconnect I/C for under $10
- Parts Express - How to make a 1/4” Speaker Cable
- Mike Spreitzer’s Gear Geek - Soldering Guitar Cables Part 1
- Allied Wire & Cable - Heat Shrink Tubing Sizes: How-to Measure for the Right Size
- NJprepper321 - How To Solder - Intro/Joining Stranded Wires - Part 1
- How To Solder Wires Together (Sort of) - EricTheCarGuy
- ilektronx - How to solder wires together, easily and professionally
- 4Diyers - DIY: Soldering Wire
- Flite Test : Solder Thick Gauge Wire - FAST TIP
- How to Solder : Soldering Connectors to Instrument Cable
- ThePureMixTutorials - Soldering a Guitar Cable
- Ric Wallace - Soldering 101: Audio Cabling & Shielding
- Ric Wallace - Cable Wrapping: A Detailed Explanation
- Techflex Sleeving at Parts Express
- wirecareTV - How To Use a Hot Knife To Cut Braided Expandable Sleeving
- How to build a Guitar Lead with Neutrik Jacks - Proaudio Stash
Forum / Blog Cable making
- AVSforum - DIY Speaker cable tutorial guide
- DIY Audio Projects - Shielded RCA Interconnect Cables
- DIY Audio Projects - Low-Inductance DIY Hi-Fi Speaker Cables
- DIY Audio Projects - RG-59 DIY RCA Interconnect Cables
Seen on ebay - 5 feet stranded 30 AWG Silver Teflon Wire Yellow White
- Hook-Up Wire 26 AWG
- Stranded Gray
- (25’ Spool)
Stranded copper hookup wire for general wiring that may be subject to repeated vibration or flexing that can lead to breaks in solid wire. The wire consists of 7 strands of 34ga wire. Each strand is individually tinned to minimize oxidation and ease soldering without reducing flexibility. PVC insulation rated to 300v. Maximum recommended current 2.2A. UL style 1007. Outside diameter .051”.
- Insulated Wire 32 AWG
- 1x32 AWG
$0.30 / ft
- Insulated Wire 32 AWG
- 19x44 AWG
- $0.42 / ft
Priced Per Foot. Weight:0.00 Regular Price: $0.44 Micron’s Web Price: $0.42
- Insulated Wire 34 AWG
- 1x34 AWG
$0.29 / ft
- Insulated Wire 34 AWG
- 7x42 AWG
- $0.34 / ft
- $72.00 / 100 ft.
- Wire Gauge 30 AWG
- Conductor Strand 7/38
- Conductor Material Copper, Silver Coated
- Jacket (Insulation) Material Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
- Jacket (Insulation) Diameter 0.032” (0.81mm)
- Jacket (Insulation) Thickness 0.010” (0.25mm)
- Length 100’ (30.5m)
$37.44 / 100 ft
- Jameco - Wire Wrap Kynar Black 100 Feet 30AWG (100 Foot Rolls) $11.95
- Jameco - Ul1007-1569 28 Awg Stranded Hook Up Wire 100 Feet Black $6.95
Perfect for bread-boarding, free wiring, etc. This box contains 6 spools of solid-core wire. The wire is easy to solder to and when bent it keeps its shape pretty well. We like to have a few spools of this stuff around which is why this set is quite nice! We suggest picking up wire strippers to match. Wire gauge is 22 AWG which we’ve found is the best all-around gauge, it works best with breadboards and perfboards but also fits in terminal blocks nicely
This box has a wooden dowel rod to hold the spools in place and let them spin, and there are little punch-outs you can pass the wire through so its it’ll stay nice organized.
- MCM Electronics - 22awg Hookup Wire NTE Electronics WH22-09-100 $11.99
- MCM Electronics - Hookup Wire -300vhu 100ft Stranded 26ga-blk NTE Electronics WH26-00-100 $10.49
For TS I use Gepco GLC20, and for TRS I use Gepco X-Band XB201M. Can’t forget the switchcraft 280 and 297 connectors either!
Belden 8410 for TS, Belden 8412 for TRS/XLR
Canare L4E6S and Neutrik connectors for for internal rack wiring.
L-4E6S The premier Star Quad cable for all handheld microphone applications. Flexible, satin smooth to the touch and extra strong, this standard diameter, 21 AWG cable fits perfectly in all XLR-type audio connectors. Forty separate strands in each conductor eliminate breakage due to flexing. Available in 10 beautiful matte finish color jackets.
L-4E5C A narrow profile version of L-4E6S. Specifically designed to save space and reduce weight during remote field expeditions or confining installations.
$0.55 / ft
Highest signal isolation, unbelievable flexibility and durability. Special no-glare cable jacket. Used by America’s leading soundmen and audio engineers. The first choice for hand-held microphones.
Flexible, smooth to the touch, extra-strong standard diameter (21 AWG) STAR QUAD cable that fits perfectly in all XLR-type connectors. With 40 separate strands in each conductor, breakage due to flexing is all but eliminated. Available Colors: Black, Blue, Brown, Grey, Green, Purple, Orange, Red, Yellow, White. Sold Per Foot or by the roll. Quantity Discounts Apply, Please Call For Pricing !!
- Portable Applications
- Audio Rack Wiring
- PA Systems
- Audio Patch Cords
- Braided Copper Shield
- Flexible in Extreme Cold Weather
- Cross Linked PE Insulation
- Reduced Handling Noise
- Rejects EMI and RFI
- 10 Matte Color Jacket Selections
- Guitar / Keyboard / Instrument Cable
- Model Number
Miniature size 22 AWG version of GS-6. Good choice for short run unbalanced audio interconnects and general instrumentation cables.
Canare GS-4 Guitar / Keyboard / instrument Cable
- Two-Conductor Shielded Cables (Single) Aluminum Foil Shield (L-2B2AT)
L-2B2AT Canare’s thinnest profile audio hookup wire. Amazingly flexible, with 100% foil shield, drain wire and PVC jacket that strips easily for rapid assembly. Suitable for large cable harness bundles, mixing consoles, tape machines and inner-rack wiring.
$0.59 / ft.
The Mogami name is synonymous with high quality and is used worldwide in the best recording studios. With a diameter of only 3mm / 0.118 inches, this cable was designed for excellent sound in a compact package. Using high purity copper shielding ensures very low noise, while the high purity copper center conductor conveys ultimate tone. Special nylon tensile strengtheners inside the conductor yield mechanical strength that is much higher than any comparable diameter cable. The cross-linked polyethylene dielectric is heat resistant and will not shrink as quickly as pvc. If you want the best wire to go from your front panel controls to your preamp tubes, then this is it. Another cool aspect of this cable is it uses low noise cross link poly insulation, so is relatively non microphonic in high impedance circuits…like tube amps.
- Part No.: W2330
- No. of Conductor: 1
- Conductor Size(mm2): 0.08mm2(#28 AWG)
- Insulation Material: LNXLPE (Low Noise Cross - Linked polyethylene)
- Insulation Color: Clear
- Jacket Ov. Dia.(mm): 3.0Ø (0.118”)
- Jacket Material: Flexible PVC
- Jacket Color: Black
Industry standard balanced audio cable for permanent installation. Stranded tinned-copper conductors are easy to solder or punch-down. A high grade polyethylene dielectric is used to minimize high frequency attenuation, while excellent process control and tight pair twisting achieves superior noise rejection. Foil shield with same gage drain wire facilitates quick shield termination. Twentytwo gage conductors offer the lowest DCR available in any Gepco single-pair product. Ideal for punch-down, rack wiring, and extended distance runs of mic level signals.
72401EZ 1 24 AWG (7X32) Stranded
Thin profile, balanced audio cable for applications that require a reduced diameter and/or weight. Stranded tinned-copper conductors are easy to solder or punch-down. A high-quality polyethylene insulation minimizes cable capacitance in conjunction with excellent process control and tight twisting for superior noise rejection. Foil shield with same gage drain wire facilitates quick shield termination. Twenty-four gage conductors are easier to terminate while still maintaining low DCR. Ideal for patchbay wiring or mobile production trucks.
Try out Calrad soon
- Calrad connectors
- Markertek - Calrad 3.5mm stereo connector
- Markertek - Gold RCA Plug black or red ring
Try out Connectronics soon
- Markertek - Connectronics Stereo 3.5mm Mini Plug Connector
- Markertek - Connectronics Deluxe RCA Connector Red or Black ring
- Markertek - Connectronics Premium Gold RCA Male Solder Connector red or black ring
- TubeDepot - Amphenol TM2PNJ 1/4” Straight Audio Plug
- TubeDepot - Amphenol TM2PJ 1/4” Straight Audio Plug
- Parts Express - Amphenol TM2PB 1/4” Mono
Switchcraft 3.5mm plugs
Amphenol 3.5mm Plug
Amphenol RCA plug
|Parts Express has colors: red||black||white||yellow|
- Markertek has Switchcraft long body RCA
- TubeDepot has Switchcraft 3502A RCA Plug
- Parts Express - Switchcraft 3502A RCA Plug Nickel $2.29
The heavy duty professional phone plug series improves on the design of the existing C series by offering the thinnest available A-gauge 1/4” plug with unique Neutrik chuck type strain relief on the market. The slimline shell with a width of 14.5 mm meets the most recent requirements for highest density jackfields (15.88mm jack pitch).
The precise machined one-piece tip contact without rivets makes it unique and avoids hook up in a socket or break off the tip.
The Plug X Series serves all applications such as guitar applications, audio cables, snakes, speakers, amplifiers and mixing desks.
PartsExpress - Neutrik NP2X Plug 1/4” Mono Nickel/Silver - $2.95 http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-np2x-plug-1-4-mono-nickel-silver–092-316
PartsExpress - Neutrik NP2X-BAG Plug 1/4” Mono Black/Silver - $2.95 http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-np2x-bag-plug-1-4-mono-black-silver–092-318
PartsExpress - Neutrik NP2X-B Plug 1/4” Mono Black/Gold - $3.29 http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-np2x-b-plug-1-4-mono-black-gold–092-317
PartsExpress - Neutrik NP2C/B 1/4” Mono Plug Black with Gold Plug - $3.58 http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-np2c-b-1-4-mono-plug-black-with-gold-plug–092-107
See TubeDepot, Markertek, PartsExpress, …
cable and connectors
cableorganizer.com Gem Electronics RCA Gem Electronics RCA Compression Seal Connectors
markertek.com Canare LV-77S 75 Ohm Video Coaxial Cable by the Foot - Red
markertek.com Belden Flexible 8281 Cable
markertek.com Canare RCAP-C77 RCA Crimp Plug fits Canare LV-77S and Belden 8281F
markertek.com Switchcraft 3502ABAU Longbody RCA Male Black/Gold
markertek.com Switchcraft 3502RABAU Right Angle Cable Mount RCA Plug - Gold Pin / Black Body
markertek.com Switchcraft 35HDBAU 3.5mm Stereo Plug with Black Handle and Gold Plug
Todd Krieger on 75 ohm BNC
A 75-ohm BNC jack looks like this…… Note the absence of dielectric around the female pin.
DSL / Phone
cablesupply.com/content Telephone Connection and RJ11 Wiring
Tip and Ring
Tip and ring is a term still used today and can still be seen today but originated in the early days of telephony. Back when phone networks started there was a human being operator instead of a machine. The operator would receive a call from someone within the network they were directly connected to then connect that call to a different network. The operator had two plugs to connect the phone cable called the tip and the ring, much like how there are two connections on a modern day RJ11, the tip was the grounding cable and the ring carried the voltage. Today we have routers and switches that do the job of the original human operator.
RJ11 Jack Wiring
The 6 wires in a RJ11 connector are divided into 3 pairs: the first is striped blue and white, the second is orange and white, and the third pair is green and white. The combination of these wires usually carries data or voice. A single-phone line uses only one pair of wires. A two-telephone line uses two pairs, and the third pair of wires could be used for a third line. Most dial-up computer modems are typically plugged into a RJ11 jack, whether for Internet connection or a local area network. RJ11 jacks are typically used for fax, modem, and telephone. A RJ11 plug can also be plugged into a RJ45 jack.
lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack How to Wire a Phone Jack (Voice or Telephone RJ-11 thru RJ-14)
superuser.com/questions/402867 What is the order of colors for an RJ11 cable
The correct order is Black, Red, Green, Yellow. It’s important to remember that RJ11 has 6 pins, and you are using the middle four.