Firefox Browswer Howtos
keyboard short cuts
- support.mozilla.org - Firefox keyboard shortcuts
- refresh - F5
- next/prev tab - ctrl.tab/ctrl.shift.tab
- search in links - ‘
- open link - enter
- open link in new tab - ctrl.enter
- open link in new window - shift.enter
- select location bar - ctrl.L
- forward - ctrl.]
- back - ctrl.[
lifehacker - mouse less firefox
Navigation from the toolbar
The address bar shortcut should be as instinctual as breathing by now, but there’s a few more shortcuts to that top bar that you should keep in mind.
- Select location bar: Ctrl/Cmd+L or Alt+D
- Select search bar: Ctrl/Cmd+K
- Back: Backspace or Alt/Cmd+Left
- Forward: Alt/Option+Right or Shift+Backspace
- Change search engine: Ctrl/Cmd+Down (Next) +Up (Previous)
The link search is very useful, especially when used in conjunction with…
Unless you do all of your browsing in one page, these shortcuts are huge when you don’t want to go running for your mouse.
- Open link in new window: Shift+Enter
- Open link in new tab: Ctrl/Cmd+Enter
- Open address/search in new tab: Alt/Option+Enter
Used together with their respective shortcuts (address and search bar shortcuts and the find-as-you-type link shortcut), the page opening shortcuts go a long way toward mouse-less browsing.
Firefox with Pentadactyl
Pentadactyl was once called Vimperator. More timely support may be found in the #pentadactyl chat room on irc.oftc.net
Firefox with vimfx
Why VimFx was created
Even before Vimium there was Vimperator for Firefox. In my opinion the problem with Vimperator is that it has too many features and aggressively changes the default Firefox appearance and behavior. Vimium was developed for Google Chrome and it was exactly what I needed in terms of added functionality. That’s why I decided to develop similar extension for Firefox.
VimFx will be nice to your browser and to your habits. Promise.